What is Rotary?
Rotary is an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. In more than 160 countries worldwide, approximately 1.2 million Rotarians belong to more than 30,000 Rotary clubs.
Rotary club membership represents a cross-section of the community’s business and professional men and women. The world’s Rotary clubs meet weekly and are nonpolitical, nonreligious, and open to all cultures, races, and creeds.
The main objective of Rotary is service – in the community, in the workplace, and throughout the world. Rotarians develop community service projects that address many of today’s most critical issues, such as children at risk, poverty and hunger, the environment, illiteracy, and violence. They also support programs for youth, educational opportunities and international exchanges for students, teachers, and other professionals, and vocational and career development. The Rotary motto is Service Above Self.
What does the club provide?
What is our history?
In 1925, a group of businessmen in Edwardsville decided it was time to form their own Rotary club.
Some of them had been meeting at the other clubs in the area, but felt a new Edwardsville Rotary club should be founded. The Granite City, Illinois Rotary Club sponsored the group and on 8 April 1925, the new Rotary Club of Edwardsville, Illinois received their charter from Rotary International.
Since that time, the Edwardsville club has grown to approximately 150 members, one of the largest in district 6460. The Rotary Club of Edwardsville has continued the process and sponsored the Highland Rotary Club and the Goshen Rotary Club, as well as co-sponsoring the Collinsville and Bethalto Rotary Clubs.
In April of 2006, the Club moved from St Johns United Methodist Church (201 St Louis Street, Edwardsville) to The First Christian Church (310 South Main Street, Edwardsville). The move was necessary due to the sale and closure of St Johns. In October of 2023, the Club moved from First Christian Church to the Leclaire Room (600 Troy Rd #109, Edwardsville).